Key Observation Questions:
- What countries might these people have been from?
- What part of the world were they likely NOT from?
- What can you tell about by these people by observing their clothing?
- What time of year was the picture taken?
- Why do you think this photograph survived?
- What might have been the purpose of this photograph?
- What unusual objects do you see in this photograph?
- How would this photograph be different if it were taken of people today?
Step 1 - Choose a Character
Choose one of the characters in the picture above.
Step 2 - Create a List of Questions
For this person create a list of questions about them starting with the following. Then answer the questions.
- Who ___________?
- What _____________?
Step 3 - Write a Letter
Write a letter from this person back to his or her family in the home country telling about the trip to Waterloo, Iowa in 1908. Include information about the trip including some of the following topics and others that you identify:
- Ellis Island