- In 1899 George B. Miller purchased the Waterloo Gas Engine Company.
One of the company’s most important products was the Waterloo
- By 1915, the Waterloo Gas Engine Company was one of the most important
businesses in Waterloo. It employed seven hundred workers.
- The company consisted of four buildings including a main building,
two smaller buildings and a foundry. The plant was equipped with
the most up-to-date and efficient equipment for the time. It manufactured
gas engines, traction engines, spreaders, cream separators and a
number of smaller articles.
- Like the Waterloo Gas Engine Company, the John Deere Company was
producing many different kinds of farm equipment and selling products
all over the country as well.
- In 1918, the John Deere Company purchased the Waterloo Gasoline
Engine Company. The name was changed to Deere and Company.
- Tractors became an important part of the John Deere line of products.
- Deere and Company went on to become one of the largest and most
important industries in Waterloo.