Did You Know...
- Ninety-two percent of Iowa's land is devoted to agriculture.
- Iowa leads the nation in the percentage of land used for agriculture.
- Iowa leads the nation in the production of corn, soybeans, and pork.
- Iowa is second in the nation in egg production.
- About 6.4 percent of the US agriculture exports come from Iowa.
- Approximately 12 million acres of corn were harvested in Iowa in
- Iowa's average rainfall is 30.1 inches per year.
- The number of Iowa farms is steadily declining. In 1998 there were
97,000 farms in Iowa. In 2000, there were 95,000 farms.
- Approximately 11 million acres of soybeans were harvested in Iowa
- Iowa's 5 most important agricultural products are corn, soybeans,
cattle, hogs and dairy products.
- Some Iowa farmers are developing alternative farm products such as
herbs, honey, goats, emus, ostriches, rabbits, flowers and even fish.
- In 1999 Iowa produced 3.9 million pounds of honey.
- In 1998, Iowa packing plants produced 6.2 billion pounds of meat.
More Quick Facts On Agriculture
Crops Facts– Homework Helper
Quick Ag Facts
Facts on Iowa Agriculture
Fact Book 2000
(This 314 page document is available in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.
Acrobat Reader is available free at http://www.adobe.com).
Dairy Product Facts
Iowa Beef Facts
Milk from Cow to You
Egg Industry Statistics